Monday, August 31, 2009

THE DEAR JOHN LETTER (1991)

One of my favorite classes I took at SVA was History Of Comedy In Films, where all we did was watch Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton films. For the class final I made my own silent movie with Andrew Christou and his then girlfriend Grace Lerner, who were also taking the class. Though it was shot on video in color we always wanted it to be black and white – but we didn't have the means to convert it – so during the class screening we turned the color off on the TV set. So for YouTube, I pulled a little George Lucas and went back and desaturated the picture...everything else is the same.




Did you notice the person driving the car at the end? Yep, it was Andrew, even though he was the one being run over after slipping on a banana peel.


Also, there's a cool little piece of Bellmore music history during the last 5 seconds of the short. Apparently, the tape I recorded Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" on was an old Stretch Arm Strong tape. So when the song prematurely ends, before the movie does, you get to hear a warbly 5 seconds of Steve Zielinski auditioning for the band! I love happy accidents.


THE DEAR JOHN LETTER (1991)
Starring Andrew Christou and Grace Lerner
Directed by Frank Fusco

©1991 Bubjunior Productions

No comments: