Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Bellmore-A-Thon Photo Shoot (9/29/01)

In between filming some interviews we staged a little photo shoot for the upcoming Bellmore-A-Thon (which I'll profile in length soon). Since it was a "9/11 World Trade Center benefit" I came up with a couple of "patriotic" ideas for the posters. The first was to have Big Roy dress up as Uncle Sam and recreate the famous "Uncle Sam Wants You" U.S. Army poster. The second was to cross a punked out Statue of Liberty with the Sex Pistols Never Mind The Bollocks album cover. Punk Rock Cathy seemed like the perfect casting for that one.

Here's a bunch of photos Jim took of the two…


And here's the final Bellmore-A-Thon posters...


The other shot I wanted to get was Dave S's lip. To me, that's the epitome of all things Bellmore. Before we even started shooting I knew I wanted that image to be the poster for the movie. Jim, on the other hand, didn't agree…at first. He wanted to use an action shot of a band – most likely Eggplant Queens. I felt that type of imagery was played out, and we had something unique and iconic with Dave's lip. In the end we compromised and I added the row of musicians at the bottom of the poster. After all, the movie is about all the bands from Bellmore – not just Eggplant Queens.

Here's a few shots of Dave's lip…



And here's the final Bellmore: The Unscene poster...


And here's a little behind the scenes video of the photo shoot…


(The song in the video is "Hey", taken from the Whatosever album Forloons, featuring Jim Muscarella on sax.)

1 comment:

Jim Muscarella said...

Damn, does my mediocrity just abound in every sense here; caveman direction, autofocus photography & honking saxamaphone in the BG.
Luckily I'm very handsome... At least we casted well...