Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Stretch Arm Strong @ Dixon's White House 4/29/92

This was the absolute worst show Stretch Arm Strong ever played. We played just fine but the environment sucked. I think Kevin got us this gig through his boss at J&M Graphics in Bellmore – a job he took over from me. She was dating (now married to) John Blenn from Good Times entertainment paper, so he had connections. But when we got there we found out we each had to pay $5 to play! Plus, we weren't aloud to put our amplifiers above 2 because Mr. Dixon's frail ears couldn't take it!!

Richard M. Dixon (a.k.a. James La Roe) forged a career out of impersonating his look-alike, Richard M. Nixon. His resemblance was strong enough that during the Nixon Administration he made cameo appearances on shows like Laugh-In, Johnny Carson, Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin. He even landed roles in some motion pictures. His most famous being Where the Buffalo Roam (1980), starring Bill Murray, based on the experiences of gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson. Kevin and I used to watch that movie in my basement so for that reason I was interested in meeting him.

Here's Richard M. Dixon's scene from Where the Buffalo Roam...


After Watergate, Richard M. Dixon's career fizzled. But his comedy club – Dixon's White House Inn – helped start the careers of four of Long Island's most famous homegrown comics: Eddie Murphy, Billy Crystal, Rosie O'Donnell and Jerry Seinfeld. In 1985, after an eight year run, Dixon closed the North Massapequa club, but reopened it again as a "Long Island Talent Showcase" in 1992...much to Stretch Arm Strong's dismay.

Here's a few photos...


STRETCH ARM STRONG
Dean Drillbit - vocals, guitar
Frank Fusco - guitar
Kevin Purcell - bass
John Hoffman - drums

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I met Richard M Dixon at Whiskey Reds in Farmingdale many years ago. At the time, the troupe of comedians that were working at his Whitehouse would come into the bar and do some of their routines on the small stage there.
I remember him coming up to the bar next to me and starting a conversation...I was so blown away by his resemblance to Nixon, I still remember it today.
I remember one of the comedians actually left in tears as he was boo'ed of the stage and out of the bar.

Anonymous said...

I performed many times at Dixon's, it was a great place for comedians and singers. Richard ( James and his wife were always super nice too me and extremely encouraging . It was a fantastic time to have shared the stage with so many talented people.